With several years of experience both in the public and private sectors, Shaun’s practice focuses on e-commerce, e-marketing, privacy, access to information and information security, assisting clients on the following matters:
- Compliance with privacy legislation and best practices, both in the public and private sectors
- Advising on strategies to obtain access to information
- Representing clients before tribunals and courts dealing with privacy and access to information matters
- Development and implementation of e-marketing campaigns in compliance with anti-spam and privacy legislation and best practices
- Assessing new technologies from a privacy and information security perspective
- Conducting Privacy Impact Assessments for programs that are existing and forthcoming.
Shaun speaks and writes regularly on anti-spam legislation, behavioural advertising and privacy issues, and has an in-depth understanding of the online marketing industry, both from an operational and legal perspective. He also teaches the Law of Privacy at the University of Ottawa law school. Please review Representative Work for further information about Shaun’s practice activities.
The Law of Privacy in Canada
This authoritative looseleaf-style legal work is a comprehensive treatment of the regulation of the collection and use of personal information in Canada. It is the only publication that includes everything most lawyers and business professionals need to know about privacy, from privacy protection to public surveillance to the legislative texts. The work focuses on the domestic regulatory scene, but also includes information about developments in the regulation of the collection and use of personal information in the European Union and the United States. Important areas of coverage include Technology and Privacy; Challenges and Solutions; Privacy Protection Under the Criminal Law; Privacy Protection in the Civil Context; Workplace Privacy; Health Privacy; Public Sector Regulation; Private Sector Regulation; and International Privacy Issues.
A Complete Guide to e-Marketing under Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation
This guide offers comprehensive guidance in complying with the new rules surrounding email and other types of electronic messaging, and is a must-have publication for businesses that engage in electronic marketing and for those who advise them. Written in a concise and accessible style, the book covers the purposes of the legislation, the requirements set out under the Act for sending commercial electronic messages, enforcement, penalties, defences, practical tips for compliance, and much more.
Admitted to the Ontario Bar
University of Ottawa
M.A. (International Affairs)
B.A. (Honours) (Public Affairs and Policy Management)