With several years of experience both in the public and private sectors, Shaun’s practice focuses on e-commerce, e-marketing, privacy, access to information and information security, assisting clients on the following matters:
- Compliance with privacy legislation and best practices, both in the public and private sectors
- Advising on strategies to obtain access to information
- Representing clients before tribunals and courts dealing with privacy and access to information matters
- Development and implementation of e-marketing campaigns in compliance with anti-spam and privacy legislation and best practices
- Assessing new technologies from a privacy and information security perspective
- Conducting Privacy Impact Assessments for programs that are existing and forthcoming.
Shaun speaks and writes regularly on anti-spam legislation, behavioural advertising and privacy issues, and has an in-depth understanding of the online marketing industry, both from an operational and legal perspective. He is also the primary author of the Canadian e-Marketing Blog. Please review Representative Work for further information about Shaun’s practice activities.
Shaun is the co-editor and co-author of PrivacyScan, one of Canada’s most popular and insightful resources reporting on Canadian privacy issues. PrivacyScan is a timely privacy information resource that reports on current Canadian privacy issues and provides in-depth information and analysis on topics of immediate importance to corporate privacy managers, legal counsel, policy makers and others.
A Complete Guide to e-Marketing under Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation
This guide offers comprehensive guidance in complying with the new rules surrounding email and other types of electronic messaging, and is a must-have publication for businesses that engage in electronic marketing and for those who advise them. Written in a concise and accessible style, the book covers the purposes of the legislation, the requirements set out under the Act for sending commercial electronic messages, enforcement, penalties, defences, practical tips for compliance, and much more.
Admitted to the Ontario Bar
University of Ottawa
M.A. (International Affairs)
B.A. (Honours) (Public Affairs and Policy Management)